Monday 6 March 2017

Who designed this?

In a very prestigious estate in Lagos, I noticed an edifice that was just atrocious, instantly asking who designed this? In shock and repulsion, I called on fellow colleagues over ensuing months to look upon the monstrosity and they all agreed with me. It was atrocious. You see, I had a site in the same estate. I immediately felt very proud of my design and soon to be building. My client even noticed the building. It was hard to miss.

A couple of months into construction, I had a reason to be in the same street as the monstrosity and I decided to pay a little more attention to its "architecture". Surprisingly I understood it! And honestly,  I was quite impressed. I thought to myself this could have been a very good building. Albeit, it's was not a conventional style of architecture but it could have been a spectacular building. I realised slowly that the elements that made it a monstrosity where all actually a result of poor construction methods or poor choice of materials. It seemed obvious to me that the client probably became the architect during construction. I walked away thinking, "Poor architect..."

Fast forward a couple of months, on that same estate, I became that "poor architect". My client even told me that architecture could have been his true calling! I muttered under my breath that he lacked the prerequisite for the degree -Taste. I eventually had to leave the project. Not only was the sight of my master piece becoming a cesspool of seemingly popular ideas depressing but my purpose on site was non existent.  I mean, no point advising when no one is taking the advice abi?

Now as a young architect, I had to figure out where I missed it. Where I handed over authority and responsibility to the client.  Where the client stopped trusting me to interpret his vision. Two areas stuck out.

COMMUNICATION
When we get a brief as Architects,  we sometimes assume that this is all we need. I have found out, the hard way, that "design a four units of  3 bedroom terraces" is not a brief.  We must understand what the client wants in terms of aesthetics, interaction of spaces, budget, e.t.c. in other words,your design should not be your wet dream but your clients'. Your building becomes a failure if your client is not satisfied even though you are! We must remember as Architects whose building it is, taking the time to explain our concept to the client. Here comes the need for a complete set of drawings, which includes 3d image's and specifications.  As much as possible, nothing should be left to question. There are only so many changes you can make on site during construction before the building becomes  "the house that Jack built". We must make the client understand the need for this complete vision (and make him pay for it too!). So he can save time and money at the end.

PROFESSIONALISM
We, as Architects,  must present ourselves as the master builder at all times. There is no area of construction and design where your client should ever know more than you. This could be fatal to your role in the project, because trust lost is not always financial. It can be professional as well. We must update ourselves continously to stay ahead of latest developments and trends in the building industry, home and abroad.

We must also consciously cultivate our relationships with our clients. Such relationships are necessary for the growth of your business. But always keep in mind what your primary role in their life is.  Always remembering that familiarity breeds contempt.
Let me explain. Just as you can never be close enough to your mother in law that you insult your spouse in front of her. The worst of you that the client has seen will rollover into all aspects of your relationship with them including  your professional relationship.
Be careful not to be so friendly that you kow-tow to their every whim despite your professional opinion. Dear architect, you were hired for your expertise. We have to learn to separate issues and know our place in our clients' life and on a project.

All this to say, it happens. Clients become Architects especially in private projects and we have to learn not to take it so personally. Afterall, we have to agree that it's his house and his money......he can pretty  much do whatever he likes.

No comments:

Post a Comment